Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Dining Table & Chairs

It has been nearly a week since my last post. I managed to get our real life bedroom wallpaper stripped, and the painter is coming tomorrow to do the trim and ceiling. The paper hangers will be here in a few days. Meanwhile, the elves have been waiting patiently for me to get back to what's important to them.

While I was still in cleaning mode, I tackled some of the storage bins in the craft area and found a set of wooden furniture from Greenleaf that I'd marked as being a little bit smaller than 1:12 scale, more like 1:16 -- elf scale!



After the glue dried, I filled in the holes & slots with wallboard mud. Spackle would also work. When it dried, I sanded it smooth.


I painted it with a coat of gesso and let it dry, then gave it a couple coats of sage green acrylic. I may put a bit of decoration on the chairs, but for now the elves have someplace to eat dinner.


As I was looking at the table and chairs and envisioning some hot games of checkers or chess in the evening, it occurred to me that maybe one or more of the elves would want to turn in early and have a little privacy, so I dug out the wall and slipped it in place with a paper template of a door. It would open between the hammocks. I have more styrene left from the downstairs wall I didn't use to fill in the missing bit at the front. I'm giving this some serious consideration. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I think it looks good. It makes sense that sleepier elves would like something between them and noisy checkers players. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think so, too. I can see some beams on that wall to break up the solid white, maybe a shelf. Some vining plants. A "window" above the door to aid in air circulation?? This will be fun to think about while real life intervenes in the next few days.

    ReplyDelete