Monday, August 30, 2010

A Sign of the Times

First of all, since I know you've been waiting impatiently, here is the solution to the awkward doorway -- a false wall. Foam core board. I think I put the wallpaper on sideways, but since this wall is so hard to see, I'm sure no one will notice if you'll keep the secret. The flash made shadows on either side. In real life, the slight gap is not noticable.I added some napkins to the table and hung curtains and put some colorful cloth in the baskets in the sink unit, which you can't see in this view. I also added a drainer basket with dishes in it after this picture was taken. This room needs some clutter (do you know anyone who has a refrigerator with nothing on top?), but is essentially finished.

I put curtains in the apartment today. I'm not over the moon about them, but they are a muted blue/white/pink pattern that works well with the upholstered chair. Ummm ... the curtains don't look quite that wonky in real life. The camera has a mean eye.
I still haven't found a nice mirror for the bathroom, so I made this one from a decorative mirror piece, some balsa wood, and a bit of the fabric from the apartment curtains. That's a line of gold puff paint around the mirror. Don't know if I'll use it, but it does go with the colors in the wallpaper. And the sign of the times in the title? Here is it --- the sign for over the front door. I printed the words in blue on ivory paper, cut a wooden spool in half and painted the thread on it, and mounted it all on a 2" x 4.25" mini table top that I got at The Great American Dollhouse Museum last week. It has a couple coats of varathane and will get a few more before it's finished.

4 comments:

  1. I really like that napkin-as-a-curtain idea, looks really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me ha encantado la idea de la servilleta como cortina.
    Te esta quedando maravillosa.
    besitos ascension

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm ... I didn't use napkins as a curtain. I added tiny blue napkins to the table. The curtain is a piece of ruffled edging bought by the yard at Hobby Lobby. Sorry if I misled you!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Te está quedando una casa preciosa. Muy acogedora y alegre. Tienes muy buenas ideas.
    Besos Clara.

    ReplyDelete