Monday, September 20, 2010

Mardi Gras -- the Morning After

As I've been finishing up the quilt shop, a small voice called out to me now and then. After a bit, I figured out it was a beautiful bed that I'd received last October from Deb at Deb's Minis. Deb has a blog here and a website here and an Etsy shop here. Go visit. You'll be glad you did!
.
Anyway, the voice whispered, "You have a roombox kit and everything else you need to rescue me from this stuffy box. Get with it!" So, I did.
.
Deb called the bed the Morning after Mardi Gras, so that is the theme of the box. In a couple of hours, I'd stained a window, made a false wall, found a photo of the French Quarter for background, installed a light, cut and stained some flooring, and tested some of the stain on the bed. (The bed was a very light color. I thought the scene would pull together if it were a warmer oak shade. If you poke the photo to enlarge it, you can see the original bed color on the side and the test area on the end.) The bed is turned around, by the way. I tested behind the headboard, where it wouldn't be seen in case of disaster. Here's an overhead shot of the lighting. It's one of those LED utility lights from Walmart that Deb turned me on to last fall. I love 'em!

The clamps are holding up the cove molding. I inherited some resin egg-and-dart molding from my friend Norma Jeane. Hadn't planned to use it because the ceiling is so low, but guess who cut the false wall a hair short and had everything glued before she realized it. The molding will keep the light from spilling in over the top of the wall. The floor is a combination of stains -- Early American base with Walnut rubbed over it. Gives the floor a nice aged look. The flooring itself is by Houseworks. I love the wallpaper; it picks up a color in the bedding.
Last photo is where it stands at the moment. The bed is stained, curtains hung. I like the way the light and shadows play on the left wall. I'll have to find something wonderful to hang there. The cove molding is a bit cattywampus. This was the first time using the resin, and I wasn't too thrilled with the way it handled. It bowed and twisted, and I had a devil of a time getting it to lie flat against the wall, even with the clamps. But it's doing the job it was meant to do, and since there is a solid ceiling on the room box, it won't be all that noticable.
Tomorrow I'll have the fun of going through my stash of accessories to see what might be added to the room. See the go-cup by the bed? It needs to be painted. I wrapped some ribbons in Mardi Gras colors around fat paint brush handes and doused them with hairspray while I was doing the curtains. Not sure how they'll be used yet.
Things to do: add a plant or two, maybe a nonworking light, wall art, and a rug. Fill the shelves in the desk with books and bric-a-brac, maybe flip the desk open and fill with paperwork, etc. May add some greenery outside the window, just enough to add to the illusion of depth.

3 comments:

  1. ¡Es una escena preciosa! Me ha gustado ver el paso a paso. El efecto de la luz entrando por la ventana la hace muy acogedora.
    Besos Clara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Que escena tan encantadora. Me encanta la explicacion de la luz. Felicidades.

    Un saludo, Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks Great Kathie!! I love the roombox that is housing this Wonderful Bed too! The wallpaper color really compliments the scene too!

    ReplyDelete